Monday, January 08, 2007

Vojan, 422 St. John Street, Islington, London EC1V 4NJ

I'm delighted to have found a good curry house in Islington. I've tried a few in the area but they've all been disappointing. Until Vojan. I met a friend who works in Angel for lunch today and she suggested we try Vojan's lunch menu. I've got a stinking cold and thought a curry would be just the thing.

It was. I had an Empress Delight - chunks of chicken tikka with sauteed onions, peppers, tomato and coriander, served with naan and salad. A fantastic dish, it was clearly freshly made, using good quality ingredients. It was filling enough to make me feel like I'd been out for a proper lunch, all for only £4.95. Amazing. My friend had barbecued fish (I think it was salmon), served with a veg curry, rice and a naan. Hers looked good too (£4.95 also). The service was friendly, and they gave us each one of their own minty chocolates with our bill - I know some might consider it tacky, but I love it when places do that. I'd take chocolate over a nasty shot of amaretto any day. I took a copy of their takeaway menu and it looks like it's very good value in the evenings too - I'm going to remember this place.

2 comments:

Alvin said...

Maybe it's just the photo, but the portion looks a bit small... no?

Food Slut said...

I agree it doesn't look like much, but I was full so I'm not complaining. Although I should point out the naan was doubled over and the plate was very wide.