Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Homemade lasagne

It's strange but I don't think I've ever made lasagne before. I think it's mainly because I'm too greedy when I'm making a meat sauce like bolognese and I want to eat it with spaghetti or something quick. And I do love a good spaghetti bolognese.
But tonight I fancied making lasagne, so I went out and bought some Sainsbury's organic (no need to precook) lasagne sheets. I made a big bolognese with a kilo of beef and the usual veg, the rest of pack of bacon, red wine and a couple of 'secret' ingredients (worcestershire sauce, a dash of balsamic vinegar, tabasco, a few crushed chillis, a bouquet garni) - everyone has their own special bolognese recipe, I suppose, and mine varies slightly with my mood. Anyway, I added some parmesan to the white sauce to give it a cheesy edge and layered it up with the pasta (dipped into some hot water first to give it a head start) and the meat mixture then let it bubble with some parmesan on the top for extra browning.

Happily, it worked brilliantly and wasn't half as much effort after the meat stage as I thought it might have been before I started. There's something about lasagne that's so comforting so I'm sure I'll make it again soon. In the meantime I've got three pots of bolognese to freeze for quick suppers.

No comments: