Saturday, January 13, 2007

Saturday white anchovy salad - a healthy lunch

This morning we had the hangover after the night before and, having slept it off for ages, we felt we needed some seriously healthy food for lunch. We decided on marinated anchovies (they were packaged in a little pot from Waitrose - expensive but well worth it) on a bed of spinach, watercress and rocket leaves, cherry tomatoes and a few pinenuts and pumpkin seeds as they were so good and crunchy on my salad yesterday. We didn't need any dressing as the anchovies are so powerful and delicious.

I can't eat those horrible little brown and hairy anchovies from tins - they just taste so wrong - but these silver little fillets from Waitrose (or I've seen them at olive stalls in posh markets) are simply amazing. They're pretty, they taste powerfully vinegary, they're smooth and fresh-looking AND they're so good for you, full of all the fish oils and all that. I wish we had them more often... happily I've got another tub of them in the fridge, so I know I won't have to wait long.

No comments: