Monday, January 01, 2007

Mussels for Saturday lunch

Well, we were by the sea, so fish was on the menu. We went to the beach-side fishmonger in the morning but sadly they didn't have mussels, although we did get big, raw prawns and a large Dover sole to share for our New Year's Eve dinner. The local Waitrose did provide the mussels though, and I felt a little foolish knowing those mussels had probably travelled most of the country before getting back to the seaside, but I guess that's how it all works. We also managed to buy some scallops at great expense in Waitrose, as the fishmonger didn't have any in.

For lunch I cooked the mussels in white wine and lots of garlic, adding double cream, a touch of butter and fresh parsley and tarragon at the end. We sliced a delicious organic brown loaf from Waitrose (look out for them if you live near a Waitrose) to dip in the sauce and eat on the side, thickly spread with butter. The mussels were good, but slighly flabby - I don't think it was my cooking, at least I hope it wasn't - perhaps it was something to do with they way they were rope-grown, as I usually buy 'wild' ones, if I can.

No comments: