Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Curry heaven - they still rule...

Especially when you come home late and starving and need some fast, nutritious food. Looking in your freezer, you choose a tupperware pot of reddish brown, homemade, frozen stuff, unlabelled of course - I'm not Delia - and wonder what it is. It's definitely not casserole - too reddish - it might well be bolognese or possibly curry. Didn't I make a chicken curry a few weeks ago and decide to freeze some? We didn't feel we could handle waiting for rice to cook and I realised there was also a garlic and coriander naan lying like an icey slab in the bottom of the freezer so I figured - if I microwaved it on full for five minutes then had a look, if it was curry I could stick the naan in the oven to defrost and warm through, and if it was bolognese I could put the pasta on asap and bob's your uncle, it would be a meal in minutes.

I whacked the oven on to 200 degrees - as even if I was cooking the pasta on the hob I knew it would help heat the room (unethical I know, but in my house of dodgy heating, the oven is often the best heat source around). Fortunately for my sense of ethics, I stirred the semi-frozen red stuff after 5 minutes blasting and realised it was definitely a chicken curry. I shoved the naan in the oven, put the chicken curry back in the microwave for another 5 minutes to make sure it was 'piping hot' and that was it - a meal in eleven minutes. Curries rule. And freezers. And microwaves and ovens. They rule too.

No comments: