Monday, January 08, 2007

Sunday supper of beef and ale casserole

A casserole on a chilly day seems like proper home cooking. I think I've blogged about this one before too - it's a really nice recipe from the Waitrose website, with a bottle of Timothy Taylor's ale and balsamic vinegar. I add mushrooms, sometimes use whole shallots instead of onions and thicken the sauce with some extra flour if I feel like it. Last time I made it I used the gloriously thick Belazu balsamic vinegar (the food of the Gods - it's expensive but worth every penny - it's just sublime drizzled over a tomato salad) and it didn't work as well as before, when I used a cheap one, so I specifically bought a horrible, thin Balsamic vinegar from Sainsbury's purely for cooking purposes. This seemed to give a better result.

I left the casserole doing its stuff in the oven for a good 2 hours, and served it with lightly mashed new potatoes with garlic and olive oil, carrots and broccoli. It was lovely, and we ate less than half of it so there's loads in a pot in the freezer for another day. I was pleased - I'd bought Sainsbury's be good to yourself casserole steak with a little trepidation (I made a spag bol with their BGTY mince once and it was horrible, grisly and flavourless) but it was beautifully tender and tasty.

2 comments:

Alvin said...

Timothy Taylor's Landlord is a most fine ale. Also, I would like to know the scientific reason why cooking with a cheaper balsamic vinegar produces better results than with a good quality one.

Food Slut said...

Me too - I assume it's to do with consistency... the thicker one is more concentrated and much better for drizzling and I suppose the thinner one blends more successfully in a sauce. If I remember correctly the thicker one was too sticky when I stirred it into the onions and flour - the thinner one devinitely worked better.