Sunday, February 04, 2007

Friday eggs and cake

It doesn't sound like a great combination... Thankfully it was eggs for breakfast and chocolate cake for an afternoon pick-me-up.

We had scrambled eggs for breakfast - a Friday treat. It really set me up for the day and I was barely hungry at lunchtime. I met my boyfriend for lunch in a Soho Thai restaurant but I was meeting someone in the afternoon and so I avoided all the great-looking garlic or curry dishes, unlike my boyfriend who had a sizzling dish of chili and chili squid. The smell permeated my clothes and hair and made me salivate like nothing else - my fried rice with prawns, pineapple and cashew nuts seemed extremely bland and boring in comparison.
I'd hardly slept on Thursday night and had a resulting low energy moment at about 5.00. I knew I wasn't going to get to eat until much later so I stopped by cafe nero as soon as I could and grabbed a slice of decadent chocolate chunk cake (or something). It was pretty gross. Why are bought cakes so dry and lacking any depth of flavour? The only thing to recommend it was the buttercream, which was the bit with the chocolate chunks (not like real chocolate though) but the icing was quite stale. I had another bit of the buttercream after I took this photo, then left the rest. Such a waste - I should learn not to order chocolatey things in cafes - I just don't get why they're always so horrid...
I can't even remember what we had for supper. Oh yes, another pork stirfry with noodles and chow mein sauce. My boyfriend cooked it for me as I collapsed on the sofa after we came - perfect.

No comments: