Monday, November 27, 2006

Delectables Fine Foods tomato and beer chutney

We bought this chutney at BBC Good Food Fair. The Fair was dreadful but thankfully the chutney is delicious. It's got very few raisins in it, which is a blessing, and it has a perfect balance of sweet to spice - a lot of both, in fact. It's a good tomato chutney colour (dark, orangey red and unctuous-looking); the texture is slightly sticky in a great way - almost jelly-like (redcurrant rather than Rowntree); the spices give it a wintery flavour (it smells of cumin and allspice) and, reliably, it tastes of spicy beer with a bit of tomato, onions and cider thrown in.

It says on the label 'for cheddar' but I can happily say it's splendid with a range of hard cheeses. (I'm currently nibbling it with some hard, crumbly English sheep's cheese - when I find out what the cheese is called I'll let you know.) It also says 'One of Rick Stein's Food Heroes' - it's a bit tacky having that displayed so prominently on the label, but I'm sure it gets the punters buying it so I can't really blame them.

No comments: