Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Barnsbury Grocer

The Barnsbury Grocer, which opened just this week, is causing much excitement at Food Slut Towers. My boyfriend seemed even more ADHD than me when we went in this morning to check it out. I think it might because it's next to his favourite film shop in London - so he can spend hours browsing in there while I spend all our money in the grocer next door.

It's more deli than grocer, with a fridge full of meats and cheeses, another fridge with organic juices and freshly made sandwiches, and shelves stocked with high-quality oils, chutneys, jams, mustards, crisps, biscuits and even (somehow classy looking) flavoured packet popcorn - it's a bit like Borough Market without the burger stalls. We bought a thick slice of somerset cheddar, which on sampling tastes as powerful as the stench of fresh manure piled in a farmyard - and that's a compliment. It's lovely, and shows how supermarket cheddar is an insult to the tastebuds.

I was delighted to see my favourite mustard - Pommery Moutarde de Meaux - which I've only previously been able to find in Waitrose. But while it has the same jar and label, it has a waxed top and the label is written in French, while the Waitrose version has a rubber stopper, the label's in English and it's imported through a company based in Oxfordshire (just something we noticed - I think the French version has a little more rustic charm). Try it if you see it. And the pot's good for storing wooden spoons etc when it's finished.

We also bought a jar of Suffolk Mud cider and horseradish mustard, which has no dodgy artificial ingredients and looks like it might pack a good punch, and some Ear to Ear salt and vinegar flavoured popcorn, made in Belsize Park Gardens, which has Innocent Smoothie style cheesy copy on the back saying you 'just have to smile' when you're eating their popcorn... I'll see if there's any truth in that later. And we bought a pot of mixed olives in lemon parsley and garlic marinade (I think) which looked good, and, of course, I had to try their chocolate brownie... more on that later.

It doesn't seem like it's fully stocked yet - I think they're waiting to see how different sections sell. They have a blackboard with a sign welcoming suggestions from customers and I'm already thinking of recommending my favourite products. It's that sort of shop - lovely and friendly and packed with a Food Slut's favourite things.

No comments: