Monday, November 27, 2006

Cold roast beef lunch

Mmmmm. I think as soon as we finish the cold remains of Sunday's joint of beef, I'm going to go and buy and roast another one. I'm not sure my arteries will like that much, but wow, beef is without a doubt my favourite meat. Tender, flavourful, bloody and fleshy looking - there's no way my lunch could pass for a soya-based Linda McCartney 'steak'.

I carved 4 slices from the joint this morning, wrapped two in foil for my boyfriend, and two for me. And we each had a dessert spoon of Suffolk Mud cider and horseradish mustard in a little pot. Then it was up to us to buy the rest of our lunch as we weren't sure if we'd want some sort of a bread roll with our roast beef or a salad later on.

I decided to go to Tesco and I bought (there wasn't a great choice of protein-free salads) a 'You Are What You Eat' mixed salad with seeds & balsamic & olive oil dressing. It was an attractive combination of escarole, wild rocket, lollo rosso, and lots of rather dry shredded beetroot. It had a sachet of mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds) and a sachet of ok balsmic and olive oil dressing. When I tried to tip it out onto a plate I realised it was huge, so the photo to the left (to follow) only shows about half of it. I was glad the seeds were there as there were a good amount and they really made a difference to the textures and flavour of the meal. The same goes for the mustard - it was lovely with both the cold beef and the salad.

Fairly healthy, nicely filling and delicious - I feel spoilt to have had such a nice lunch.

No comments: