Saturday, October 28, 2006

The White Hart, 191 Drury Lane, London, WC2B 5QD

Just look at those chips! The White Hart is the Oldest Licensed Premises in London, according to the plaque above the door, not that you'd think that from the interior, especially the raised, tea-room like area with a piano at the back. The bar was heaving with people as I met my friend for a quick lunch.

We knew the double-fried chips were some of the best in London so naturally we were going to share a bowl of those - at nearly 3 quid they seem expensive but they don't stint on the portions. I was feeling the effects of a Thursday night out so, again, wanted something filling and meaty and at only £6.50 the home-made spaghetti bolognese seemed like the right option and good value for central London too. My friend chose a roast beef open sandwich with caramalised red onions on granary bread (I think) with salad and a few crisps (which had the crunch and look of Salty Dog).

When they eventually turned up, both looked great - mine was steaming gently and her beef was wonderfully rare and thickly cut. I'm always wary of ordering roast beef sarnies as the beef is so often overcooked and disappointing, but I regretted my decision when I saw her plate arrive. My bolognese was too salty and didn't have enough richness for my liking - I would have added a load of red wine to improve it somewhat, but it had plenty of veg (mushrooms and carrots), which I like in a spag bol, and tasted believably home-made. Both our plates, and the bowl of chips were as clean as could be in record time.

The White Hart is definitely worth a visit, even if it's just for the chips. Or the marinated olives - you'll get a substantial portion in a delicious dressing. The food is tasty and good value, even if it takes some time to arrive, but make sure you have condiments on your table (we didn't at first) as everything needed a load of seasoning. Just thinking about those chips is making me hungry.

No comments: