Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The White Hart, Drury Lane, again

This time I had a burger and chips. It was fine, but the chips weren't double-fried as I had waxed lyrical about for so long, so I did look like a bit of a fool in front of my colleagues. They were all expecting the crispiest chips in London. The pub was too busy in the kitchen so to allay our hunger pangs as we waited (not as long as I thought we would have to wait) we nibbled on spicy nuts and seeds. I felt a bit of a 'tit' (haha) as it did seem like we were pecking on bird food, and I must look up what some of the seeds were, but they did the job and were nicely spiced - a bit like a posh, Anglofied Bombay mix.
The burger was fine. It was served in a ciabatta bun with cheese melted on the bottom part which I always find disappointing. Surely both aesthetically and for maximum taste it's best melted on the top of the burger, under the top half of the bun? There was a little pot of tomato relish an enormous endive leaf and some rather underdone chips (in my opinion). I should have taken the top off so you could see the burger underneath, but I didn't. Sorry.


And they didn't have the marinated olives that they do so well. All in all, most of our party of six seemed pleased, but I know they could have done better.

No comments: