Monday, December 11, 2006

Angela's rum truffles (sadly without the rum)

Full of M&S lasagne, I set down to the task of making truffles. Earlier that day I'd melted the chocolate, added the butter, egg yolks and cream and realised, much to my horror, that I couldn't find any rum or whiskey or booze of any kind other than beer and wine to give the truffles a bit of a kick. As booze is usually a major ingredient in my chocolate truffles I was distraught. However, I counselled myself that I was giving these truffles to my friend as a birthday present (the reason why we were away for the weekend) and that I could hardly go wrong with a mixture of chocolate, butter, cream and egg yolks. I do apologise to her though - I know they are missing a certain something to help the flavours along.


So, I'd left the mixture to set in the fridge for a few hours, then after our lunch I sat down to roll the truffles and coat them in cocoa. Here's a picture of the essentials for truffle rolling (a teaspoon, cases for the finished truffles and cocoa) - of course you also need clean hands. Even without the booze they were dark and rich - just not as good as I know I can make so I'll have to remember the rum next time.

No comments: